Friday, July 6, 2012

Country Road

Country Road                         

By John W. Vander Velden

The dirt led onward through wood and along open fields.  A pathway traveled by few, leading to places known only by locals.  A quiet road reminiscent of a times past, it is here I walk…alone, far from city with its lights and noise.  Far from the heavy traveled ways.  Far from the rush of men and women, bound headlong on journey’s demands and hasty time tables.  Those bound for other places near and distant.  Too busy for a lonely dust trail, too arrogant for an earthy connection, too modern for true realities of sky, tree and earth.  I am richer at their loss.  The quiet way made quieter by those refusing to hear its call, to feel its peace and the breath of soft breezes of air unstirred by exhaust.  I hear only the crunch, crunch, crunch of shoe step by step.  Time proceeds here as elsewhere, but here I have time…time to notice…time to think…time to find the very beginnings of understanding.  In this hectic world, how do we find ourselves?  Where do we look?  Here on an old country path…alone, surrounded by life’s realities, laid bare beneath sun and sky.  I can think of no better place… No better place to think than a country road…

(212 Words)

2 comments:

  1. Though I have lived my life in open places, life's demands, for so many years, had stood in the way of really appreciating the world that surrounds. But these last years work's slower pace has offered some reprieve, and I take moments to absorb the world that I am so fortunate to have all about me. I am pleased that this essay touched you.

    ReplyDelete