Friday, July 19, 2013

On the Wing


On the Wing

By John W. Vander Velden                          

 

When I was young I loved birds.  My mom gave me the bird cards that came with the pudding mix.  Small wonders with gloss picture on one face and name and description on the back.  Though many of those specimens could not be found, out and about the woods, yard or fields close to home I memorized each.  I kept those treasures in an old metal band aid box.  Each day I handled my birds…Redstart…Great Blue Heron…Brown Thrasher…and all the rest.  For years I enjoyed those cards while observing birds within sight, much more common creatures…Starlings…English Sparrows…Robins…and the amazing Barn Swallows.  Swallows became my favorites.  Perhaps the best flyers, showing what can be done on the wing, darting inches above the driveway at amazing speed, or skimming across the pond, dipping a beak into the water’s surface for a drink as streaking along not missing a wing beat.

 

Perhaps their apparent freedom drew my interest.  Even as a boy I had responsibilities…bound fast to the soil.  I do not complain for I am honored that I could share the burden our family faced…that I could contribute.  I understand that value much more now than a boy of twelve.  Things taught…lessons learned…character built…yet at times bound…not a slave or servant…rather a necessary participant.  Yes, earthbound but in love with the brightly colored or swift moving creatures on the wing.

 

(243 Words)

1 comment:

  1. Now I have to go look up Redstart in my field guide; I've forgotten what it looks like!

    My mother inspired the love of birds in me at a young age, as well. And - yes - to us they seem so free, but I wonder if they see themselves that way. Or how do they view us?

    Guess who, John!

    ReplyDelete