Thursday, March 13, 2014

Shoveling Snow...Again!


Shoveling Snow…Again!              

By John W. Vander Velden

 

 

Just how many times do we need to shovel our sidewalks?

The fresh snow covers our world with pure whiteness.  It gives our yards a clean dressing with each new accumulation.  But the snow does not only cover our grass and shrubs but also buries the pathways as well.  I would shovel the sidewalk even if the municipal ordinances that demand the effort did not exist.  Just common courtesy not to force our visitors, mail carriers, and neighbors to wade through the often knee high or deeper, white stuff.

But just how many times will I need to grab the shovel, huff and grunt, or whatever; to lift the fluffy water and toss it aside?  Several more I expect.  But that may not be a bad thing.  Oh, I know that I sometimes grumble how the wind has undone my labor.  Or complain that it is unbelievably cold, or any other thing I might “whine” about.

But I know a day will come when I am unable, and that is not a time I look forward to.

So I bundle up, take firm grip of my tool, and face the challenge.  The job takes a little longer than it did in my memory.  I pace myself to survive the task.  But often I find myself whistling, as scoop by scoop, a pathway grows passable.  No, it is not my favorite pastime.  Yes, I get frustrated when the road crew refills the carefully dug trench.  And I certainly do not watch the weather – rooting for job security.  But when it snows – and this winter that seems all the time – I remind myself that shoveling is a job not beyond my ability.

I do not know how many times I will need to shovel the snow, but I am glad that today is not the last.

(304 Words)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment