A New Chapter 12-19-2014
By John W. Vander Velden
For the book of my life has many pages. So I am excited this January 2020 to begin a
new chapter. Each day, a blank space for
me to fill. Each day new opportunities
and challenges as well. The years behind
have taught me not to be so secure in the expected, for life has a way of
tossing aside what we anticipate. I know
there will be pain and disappointments.
I know that difficulties lie in wait.
My beloved will tell you that I am not always cheerful. That life’s demons haunt me no less than
others. When exhaustion weakens the will,
I too crumble, for I am but human and we all have our moments, our pages of
despair. But when I can, I choose to be
optimistic. To view the months ahead for
their possibilities and to prepare for the adventure that surely awaits. Those that know my age would hint the best of
life lies in my wake, in the chapters I have written. But this storyteller will tell you a
different tale. As a writer, do I not
save the best for last? The pen is in my
hand the blank sheet before me, I will make the best of each day’s page. Strive to see the best, and do my best, even
when darkness seems to engulf. It is
about perspective -- and priorities -- and hopes -- and optimism. It is about not giving up, when giving up or giving
in the easy choice. But on this winter’s
day I recognize the grand gift of each day ahead. I understand that I have no hint at what lies
in my future. I accept that only God
knows the number of chapters my book will at last contain. But I am excited in the 366 blank pages
offered in 2020 that I might fill, as I begin a new chapter.
(316 Words)
No comments:
Post a Comment