Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ordinary


Ordinary                         

By John W. Vander Velden

 

I believe in the uniqueness of each person.  That everyone has special talents, gifts if you will, that make them special.  It is these things which make every human stand out in one way or the other.  Yet for most of us it goes unnoticed.  Even so I believe that the spark of the Creator lives within us all, and that makes people, extraordinary.  I try to take the time to see the special abilities in those that surround.  My mother’s needle work, for instance.  She never considered herself anything but ordinary, yet possessed so many talents she did not notice.  Her garden, and all the things she did around the home, signs of another special individual.  But she is only a singular example of the countless people I have encountered with an endless variety of talents, my sister the artist, another that makes plants become so much more, a brother that always finds ways to be helpful, and so on.  The world around is filled with people, each one extraordinary.

So why do I consider myself ordinary.  Perhaps in seeing the abilities that surround, I consider my meager contributions common.  That I think if I can do something…anyone could…nothing special here.  But there is an inconsistency.  Or is there?  If the world is filled with unique individuals then the vast range of “uniqueness” becomes ordinary.  The common factor here is that no two people are identical…well twins almost…but the rest of us, not so much.  So what I see in myself as a common ability, others might recognize as a remarkable talent. 

Talents and humility, can they coexist?  I believe they can.  That by recognizing the special spark in others helps us to keep our hat size from growing.  To understand that the ordinary are not ordinary at all…helps us to see that we are only ordinary…and that is amazing.

I believe, as Mr. Rodgers used to say, that you are special…but you are also ordinary.  I believe I am ordinary…and that makes me special as well!

(345 Words)                11-6-2015

 

No comments:

Post a Comment