Friday, May 12, 2017

Vacation Like you Mean It: A Lighthouse, A Lighthouse, and Oops


Vacation Like You Mean It

 

A Lighthouse, a Lighthouse, and Oops

 

By John W. Vander Velden

 

Friday was our third day on the Emerald Coast.  I woke up early because I  
 
 
 
 
wanted to photograph the sun’s rising.  But when I opened the balcony door all I saw was thick fog.   Hmmm…decision time.  The warm bed called…loudly, but I wondered if I could use the morning’s mist.  Bare feet, swim trunks and tee shirt, kissed Jackie good morning, grabbed my camera, and I set off.  I ran down the ten flights of stairs, walked quickly around the hotel, past the pool, crossed over the dune on the board walk, and went to the shore.  The sand felt cold, but the water was not.
Though there were not many on the beach that morning, I was not alone.  There were couples walking at the water’s edge.  A fisherman setting up for his morning’s task.  I was kept company by the sandpipers nearby but always dashing away as I approached, and the pelicans that flew into view and then absorbed by the fog.
I have never walked at the water’s edge in the mist before, but if the opportunity arises, I will not resist.  The photos I took were unique…at least when lumped into my other work.  Perhaps I walked a mile that morning…a very pleasant mile.
At breakfast we discussed the day…what we might do.  Those who know us understand that lighthouses have a draw upon these particular Vander Veldens.  I mentioned San Bas Point to Jackie and told her it was two and a half-hours east.  Seemed pretty far but it was the closest now that we had seen Pensacola’s light.
So began the real beginning of that Friday.  Traffic was heavy most of the way, we stopped for lunch in Port St. Joe, just a few blocks from our destination.  Fact is we could see the lighthouse from the McDonalds.
Now San Blas Point Lighthouse is an open frame steel structure.  If you think that makes it relatively new or short, well think again.  I thought the same thing before we went to see the lighthouse at Whitefish Point. Michigan.  That one was, and this one as well is neither.  But though it looks nothing like the other lighthouse we saw on that day it had one thing in common.  It had been moved.  San Blas was moved some twelve miles.  Just set on its side and hauled to its new location.  Kinda’ amazing since the thing is ninety feet tall.  So it stands on a secure place away from the worse weather in a picturesque park in the small town of Port St. Joe.
We climbed that lighthouse.  I mean, what’s the point of going to a lighthouse if you don’t climb it.  Actually most are just gorgeous to look at and that is worth the trip. We wandered the grounds and met some really nice folks from the area on what was a beautiful afternoon.
Now we had gone our one hundred miles, but there were two other lighthouses within thirty-five miles.  So onward, first to St. George Island.  It takes two bridges to get there.  The second is nearly three miles long.  But right at the island’s center stood their lighthouse.  It actually had been reconstructed.  A storm had toppled the structure, so they found the original plans, cleaned up thousands of brick and wa-la, St. George Point Lighthouse stands once again.  The unique thing about this light is the wooden stairs.  A beautifully made wooden spiral to the lamp room.  Since it no longer had a lamp, I could enter that space…a first for me.  The view was, once again, marvelous.  Jackie talked weather with one of the ladies in the museum…you know…tornadoes verses hurricanes…contrast and compare.
In regards to the third lighthouse we saw that day, I must say oops.  The internet can be a wonderful.  And either the site I visited failed to tell me or I failed to see an important fact.  I will not blame that particular site or the internet for that matter.  The fault is mine…and none other.  And so I apologize here and now to the owners of the St. Joseph Point Lighthouse.  Please forgive my ignorance.  
We took the side road on our way back from St. George Island to see the last lighthouse of our trip.  Another unique structure that resembles a house with the lamp room set at the middle of the roof.  Beautiful grounds on a beautiful afternoon.  We parked the car at the edge of the property and wandered around the yard.  That’s right the yard.  I had assumed…now there’s a bad word…that we had come at the wrong time.  After all, Amelia Island Lighthouse is only open for two days a month, and it had taken us three trips to Point Betsy to arrive at a time it was open.  So silly me did not notice the basketball hoop…oops.
We were not there long, perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes, but again I apologize for wandering around YOUR yard…whoever you are.  Sorry.
The fact is that this lighthouse’s nickname is the moving lighthouse.  It had been built for service in 1902 but the site washed away, so it was replaced.  The structure was moved…repeatedly.  It served as a farm building and finally as a private home. (OK I apologized already).  The present owners have restored it to a grand state.  And though it would not fit the mental image we have of a lighthouse, St. Joseph Point Lighthouse is simply beautiful.

Having completed more than we had expected we drove the hundred plus miles back to our base camp on the shoreline.  We finished the day as I had begun, with a stroll on the beach as the sun slid down behind the row of hotels, tired but amazed at what we had seen.
The next installment comes next week…Let’s Go Shopping…

(973 Words)                  5-9-2017

 

No comments:

Post a Comment