Friday, October 6, 2017

How Did I Get Here


How Did I Get Here?

By John W. Vander Velden

 

Perhaps I dwell on matters of no worth.  Perhaps I have too much time.  Well I doubt that I have too much time.  Perhaps a great many things.  But there are times I wonder how I came to this place in my life.
I was so ready to begin my life when I graduated Purdue University.  Seems natural, don’t you think.  I had plans, a sequence of events that I expected to accomplish.  When I reached thirty, the goals I had set for twenty-five remained out of my grasp.  That was a difficult realization…a realization that affected my self-worth.  I felt that the lives of others were progressing while I stood on the platform watching their train racing toward glorious destinations.
That was an emotionally difficult year, but it was the year things began to change.  For though I felt my life stuck in a quagmire of unplanned obstacles, my train, it seemed, was ready to leave the station.  I pushed myself harder, work, my new home, and though I was far behind the plans I had made, I felt I was progressing.
“Life happens while making other plans.”  Strange truths show up in unexpected places.  More than thirty years have passed since the cars of my life’s train seemed to begin that journey, and I understand that I was mistaken.  My train had already traveled many miles before I had noticed a change in the scenery.  The impatience of thirty or any age can blind, keep us from seeing just exactly where we are.   It blinded to me.  But even now I wonder if I have reached the place I should have…by now. 
Rather than spending the time dwelling on “what ifs”, I should take in the view of the place I am.  No one is harder on me than…me.  It is not very productive and I need to stop.  To cease measuring myself against…well anything.  I am here…right now.  This is the place that all the work, all the experiences, all the relationships, all the “life”, has brought me.  This is where I am, and looking back I can see, if I look with open eyes, how I got here. 

(368 Words)                            6-27-2017

 

No comments:

Post a Comment