Friday, December 1, 2017

Moving Toward the Unknown


Moving Toward the Unknown

By John W. Vander Velden 

The title I used this week fits life in general, but I use it in this post to speak of my newest endeavor.  In truth it is a trip I began in August of 2010 when the first words of a story made their way to the computer screen.  That’s when I began the story of Elizabeth Beck, the answer to a challenge my beloved made, “Your stories are so sad, can’t you come up with a happy one?”
Misty Creek is that story.  Not that it doesn’t have its share of sadness.  Light and dark are needed to make contrast.  That’s the photographer talking.  But I wrote Misty Creek for Jackie and it ran long, word count that is.  After the first series of revises I let her read it.  When she reached the end of Part 5 and said it could end there.  My editor disagrees.  But I saw her point and I split the story into two books.
In the final two revisions Misty Creek grew by twenty percent to a volume it became.  The second half, titled, Elizabeth’s Journey, calls for my attention.  I hope to begin a new revise of that book after New Year’s.
But for now I have a new uncharted territory to cover….publishing.  The ending of a long story is I’m self-publishing.  I found and am working with a wonderful organization from Charleston, SC.  The cover is designed and I could not be more pleased.  In just a few weeks I will see, perhaps digitally, the first proof copy.  The adrenalin is a pumpin’.  Then the game changes for I will have to be active, to some degree in marketing.  New experiences…unknown lands.
So wish me luck while I continue moving toward the unknown, and I’ll send a prayer your way as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment