Friday, June 21, 2019

Rainy Days and Thursdays...


Rainy Days and Thursdays…


By John W. Vander Velden

 

It’s raining and it’s Thursday and I am at the keyboard…again. I really shouldn’t. My to do list stretches from here to, well I don’t know where but outa’ sight anyway. But rainy days do that to us don’t they. They give us the feeling that we should be doing something but the weather gets in the way, and so we head off on a tangent, taking time we should not use on endeavors unplanned. 

Writing has become an important task in my life. I suppose that years ago it was unimaginable that I would spend the thousands of hours tapping away letters into words, words into sentences, sentences into stories. But even now as I plan to change the oil in the trusty PT I find myself putting this rambling together. 

 Rainy days set my mind ta thinkin’. We’ve had a powerful lot of rainy days this year. I guess I’m still not completely thunk out. But the fact is, and I know it better than anyone else, I’m way past the middle of my years. And though I have so much I hope to accomplish, I really shouldn’t be typing right now but doing some of it. I understand that I likely won’t do all the things I hope to do. Sometimes that bothers me, it bothers me a lot. Sorry Mrs. Lambert. She told us that the only use for “a lot” was a plot of ground needed to build a house. But that being neither here or there. I understand that the time God will allot me to do the things I want to do is not infinite. And even if it were I’d probably just think up an infinite number of things to add to my list. 

Maybe I should make a list based on priorities. To get done, my “bucket list” first. Sounds efficient. But others keep throwing sticks in my spokes, adding obligations and such. Then are the unexpected things, repairs, emergencies, and of course heath issues that pop up like the head of a “whack a mole” demanding immediate action. Fix a gutter, wham, get the tire fixed, wham, repair a door, wham, go to a meeting, wham, wham, wham, and my to dos end up being not quite done or worse, not even started. 

Shut the machine down John, you have oil to change. 

But it’s raining. 

So?…The garage is dry. 

But it’s still raining. 

You need to get the oil changed and then work on the revisions. 

Yeah OK...but it is a rainy day...hmmmm. 

There are things to do and I best be at it, so I’m shutting down the old Gateway and going out into the rain on this Thursday morning…

 

(455 Words) 6-13-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment