Friday, October 2, 2020

Living Beneath the Shadow of COVID

 

Living Beneath the Shadow of COVID         

By John W. Vander Velden



 


What have you learned during these difficult months we have lived beneath the shadow 
of Covid-19.

That was the question that was asked of church leaders of my denomination. Though some that know me might be surprised that John would be found among those in that category, yet in truth I am. So when I was asked this very important question I responded with the following words.

 

1st in the general scope of things, I have been reminded that things can suddenly change in ways unexpected. I did not imagine that something as Covid-19 could so dramatically change the world as I knew it. And I saw how it could change the lives of each of us―my family and myself included. Since I am retired from my lifelong career and worked to accomplish much of what I do at home, my life changed less than others. But I witnessed the change in the patterns of what might have been normal evaporate. I learned that life can go on―if we share the burden. For it was obvious some faced a much more difficult scenario than others.

2nd I learned it is important that someone remind those around us that Covid-19 is a temporary situation. To be a source of realistic optimism. For the unknown is frightening. I learned that the tension of fear is exhausting. I have observed how the frustration of these unknown times feeds anger, and that too often rage is directed at anyone handy. I have observed that anger seems to be as contagious as the virus which causes the unwanted changes in the first place.

3rd I learned that we must learn new ways to serve our LORD and SAVIOR. That worship is more than a place. That it is MY obligation to care MORE for others in ways I had not thought of before. That I am OBLIGATED to reach out in new ways. That even within the framework of social distancing things can be done and MUST.

4th I have come to believe that someone or something must bridge the divide that has torn society into bitter factions. That US AGAINST YOU accomplishes nothing. That we must do our best to be a calming voice within the storm of rhetoric driven by fear and anger. And until a louder voice than mine becomes bold enough to remind our neighbors and all those around our country, that WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER, it falls on my shoulders to speak those words.

Hopefully friends you find something within these ramblings that might be helpful.

Blessings,

John

I put these few words together last summer, yet they remain true. The months since have only reinforced those things I have learned, as I continue to live, always in consideration of others. For we are responsible for more than ourselves, and our actions...each one...affect so many others.

So I await until the moment comes that Covid-19 is no more than a memory, knowing that if we stand together it will be sooner than later. But if we become selfish and headstrong, abandoning the small things that each of can do, then it will likely take much longer.

So I remember the words of Tom Hanks... “Wash your hands, practice social distancing, and wear a mask, it really isn’t complicated.” And thank you Tom for what each of us must do really isn’t complicated at all.

(577 Words) 10-2-2020

  

No comments:

Post a Comment