Thursday, August 12, 2021

A Father's Words

 

A Father’s Words


 

 

James,

 

What can a father say, as you begin this most exciting part of your life, for tomorrow you marry?  Perhaps I should share bits and pieces I have learned.  Remembering the time of your arriving, the night spent, the “breathing” but mostly I took up space, just a presence.  Some might say an unnecessary presence.  I believe your mother would disagree.  Throughout my life I have faced many things, some good others not, yet nothing frightened me more than the tiny child God placed into my care.  The hours I walked the floor.  The nights I went sleepless.  A man faces no greater challenge, no greater responsibility.  As I watched you grow, years passing, my obligations changed.  Never my love or the pride I have felt.  From the years when you struck that ball upon a tee, running bases on a diamond of red brown earth, to your success on the debate team, you humbled your father.  Your achievements far exceed this mere man.  Many things I should say.  How I cried when you cried, laughed when you laughed.  How I miss the child, but admire the man that child became.  How my love for you has no boundaries, not distance, not time, nor anything we may fear or must face.  Though I can not stand with you, my son, tomorrow, for a chasm uncrossable separates us, know that I am near. 

 

Kiss your mother for me.  Remember always, your father loved you.

 

Dad

 

 

(252 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment