Saturday, January 1, 2022

To Step Lively Toward Tomorrow

 

To Step Lively Toward Tomorrow

By John W. Vander Velden

And so I begin another year.



I look forward to this brand new year, knowing I must change the calendar. But it is my hope that I change more than just a set of pages hung on the wall, replace more than sheets of numbers used on those fresh pages, twelve sheets that represent all the possibilities 2023 will present.

Each of us has our own opinion of the year just completed. Most are pleased to see 2021 in their wake, and though I might agree, for in many ways it was a difficult year, a painful one, I catch my breath and say each year I have lived has had its share of dark days. Yes, 2021 was our second year underneath the heavy wings of COVID-19. Yes, the year contained the loss of those we loved. Yes, there were times we struggled to find things we wanted or needed to purchase. Yes, there were so many things that could have been better. But even as I dwell on those thoughts, I understand things could have been much worse.

For God had given me 365 days, what had been a fresh sheet only a year ago. And among those days were magical experiences as well. There have been sunny days among the overcast. Times of laughter among the tears. I consider all that I have done. I had the opportunity to see things, go places, meet people. Do I ignore those things while wallowing in what could not be or what I wanted but could not have?

To do so would dilute the wonders of my life. It is for me therefore to remain optimistic in a world that only emphasizes the negative. Not that optimism comes easy. Not that optimism is my natural reaction. But because God gives me a new year, and it is an incredible gift, and to focus on what might seem dark while ignoring the light, does not pay the giver the complement He deserves.

So I, like you, have been given a new year, and though God does not promise me that I will see 2023, before me I focus on the chances and opportunities each day gives. The hours not to be mired in the muck of what ifs, rather I will grasp hold as firmly as I am able the tasks presented, and use what strength remains, for though I am no longer in my youth, there is yet strength in this man, and I use that strength to move forward each day.

So on this day, made special by mere mortals, a day I have decided begins a new chapter, let me march forward, with eyes wide open. But always remembering that life gives good times and times that I will feel in the end were not so good. I march forward hopefully having learned lessons from the year and years I have lived. That on those lessons I am able to stand taller and step lively toward tomorrow. For there are things that I need to do...

And so do you!

May God bless 2022...

 

(516 Words) 1-1-2022

No comments:

Post a Comment