Saturday, February 14, 2015

In Words Unspoken


In Words Unspoken                                   

By John W. Vander Velden 

I had the joy of knowing a couple, let’s call them “Mary” and “John”, in what some might call their “Golden Years”.  Any that knew the delightful couple understood how they felt about each other.  Actions often speak and we knew just how much love they shared.  However even those blind to the obvious, saw “Mary’s” devastation at her husband’s passing. 
I wrote “Mary” a short note, sharing how I had met “John” and the kindness he had always shown.  You see “John” changed my life.  Each of us have those people – those people that just by living, lift those around them.  “John” was a kind caring individual, a person we would all hope to meet one day.  Later “Mary” approached me, telling how grateful she felt at my kind words.  She had no idea that “John” had touched my life in that way, but not really surprised.  “It’s just the kind of man he was,” she had said.
Years later “Mary” told me a story, of a couple early in their marriage.  Their lives were hard then, as many newlyweds can attest.  And the woman felt things more difficult than it should have been.  She abandoned her husband for another man.  Just left him.  With time’s passing she realized how great a mistake she had made.  Returning to her husband, she pleaded for forgiveness, certain that reconciliation beyond possibility.  But her husband took her back, and told her, they would never speak of it again.  With damp eyes “Mary” said, “And John never did.”
Except for the names this is a true story.
I believe that we should tell those around us how we feel about them.  I believe that, “I love you,” is the most powerful phrase in the English language.  But “Mary’s” story – a story of her life, shows that love – real love – can best be revealed in the words unspoken.

(314 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment