Monday, May 18, 2015

The Torch Passed


The Torch Passed

By John W. Vander Velden

There are events burned into our essence, brands we carry for the remainder of our lives, and among them, for most, is the passing of the torch.  For when the torch is passed, all is changed.  It is a dramatic instant, a life altering event.  Though facts known – strength – mortality -- the reality of it seems distant, lurking in the mist, beyond our reach out of our thoughts, and when the moment arrives, we are never prepared. 


The torch is held out to us and as we grasp the flame, for the briefest of instants an equality exists, for only then the heavy burden is shared.  The instant vaporizes as we fold our fingers, firmly grasping the flame for the first time, and the time has come for us to carry the torch alone. Some may yearn to feel the heat of that flame so near.  Some will turn away from that bright light and the obligations demanded.  And some know they are not ready, understanding their weakness, and yet, ready or not, do their best to grasp the torch held out to them.

I was deeply wounded by the fire when it came to my hands.  A time the flame seemed to burn low, nearly extinguished, dropped at my feet, and none other could step forward.  It was not my fingers singed that morning, but my heart.  Even today, after ten years, those unhealed scars remain, as day by day I carry the fire.  I know the flaming beacon is but loaned to me for an interval, for the torch belongs to time eternal.  I recognize the privilege, the honor in the obligation, and understand one day I will leave it for another to carry.  I only hope that I do the “fire” justice as I transport it on this part of its journey, as proudly, above my head, I carry the torch passed.

(315 Words)                5-18-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment