Monday, August 3, 2015

It Happened Twice

It Happened Twice
By John W. Vander Velden



We enjoy watching hummingbirds that visit the feeder and flowers each summer. These small flyers seem at times fearless and shy at others, and when the light hits them just right their feather shine as jewels.  But it happened twice which makes the event more amazing.  For on two occasions one of these winged wonders flew into the shed which we us as our garage.  Perhaps it was a young bird or just disoriented, but flyer became trapped there.  We left the two large doors open for hours so it might leave as it came.  However the hummer stayed high in the rafters searching for exists at the underside of the roof’s peak…exits that did not exist.  The metabolism of hummingbirds is high, they do not survive long without food, and we feared for the small creature.

Twice I climbed a ladder and while the flitting bird focused upward searching for a gateway to its freedom, I carefully captured the hummer with my cap. I am fascinated by the small birds, impressed by their amazing flying ability – they can fly backward – but also by their size – or lack of it.  Though they are not the smallest of creatures they are tiny.  Birds have many things in common with us, so we understand a bit of how the mechanics work – they have lungs and a heart for instance, blood flows through vessels and muscles move their small feet and buzzing wings.

These wonderful winged warrior are the smallest of birds, and though I had watched them many time, I did not realize how small.  But holding a hummingbird in cupped hands and knowing that the animal could fly within that space, brought home its size.  And to consider that with in my hands this tiny living thing had, beneath a coat of delicate feathers all the organs my body contained, took my breath away.


I called for Nick and Jackie to meet me in the yard.  There in the yard with those I hold most dear, I slowly opened my hand.  The green backed flyer remained but a half second before it shot skyward – up – up— up -- and at last a tiny speck that disappeared from our sight.  It happened twice – twice I held a miracle in the palm of my hand.   (382 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment