Friday, November 27, 2015

November's Window


 

November’s Window

By John W. Vander Velden











I stand at November’s window, the waning memories of summer’s warmth yet remain as I look toward the coming winter. The gay colors of fall’s decorations, the grand golds, oranges and reds, have faded, for the leaves have left their high perches as they sail, carried on the autumn breeze, for their moment of freedom.  Soon cold winds will send them dancing, swirling, tumbling, joining brothers and sisters that have flown the days before, as together they gather for their final rest.  The time change cannot hide the day’s shortening, the sun visits for fewer hours and often hides behind thick gray skies.  It is November.

I take a minute…just a minute…for my life rushes on.  But the time is needed to look forward, and backward, to appreciate…everything.  To consider the good things that have come, and to understand also that disappointments and pain are needed.  Growth comes with its price, and overcoming the hard times perhaps the greatest reward.  Time to take a breath and know just how fortunate I am. 

Where life leads we cannot know.  But it is the journey that matters, those we meet along the road, those we share the walk, those that help us back on our feet when we stumble, those who need our outstretched hand when facing their own difficulties.  Each shape our path…but they do not change our destination. 

So I move forward grateful for today and all the yesterdays.  Grateful for family, for friends, and even for those that will never understand me.  For each has taught me, and learning aids to prepare me for whatever lies ahead.  I will be grateful for the tomorrows, and the unknown I face, the challenges, successes and failures that will arise.  As I stand at November’s window, I understand that I have received a gift of infinite worth…my life!

(311 Words)  11-12-2015

 

No comments:

Post a Comment