Friday, April 8, 2016

Imperfection


Imperfection                

By John W. Vander Velden

            Why are those we watch most closely the ones that make the most mistakes?   I believe I watch myself closest of all – and -- I am certain that I make more errors than most others.   There is no question about my perfection -- I'm not!   Maybe everyone thinks the same thing...?  That they are the most flawed individual they know.

 But if they think it -- I know it!!!

 I once told a friend, "Everyone makes mistakes -- nobody's perfect."  He told me that wasn't quite true because -- wait for it -- he was, perfect that is.  I'm not certain that my friend really thought he was perfect, but he sounded quite convinced at the time.

 I considered the statement arrogant, and if he truly believed his words a bit delusional, but now I pity those that know so little of themselves that they do not see their mistakes.  Our mistakes make us human.  Imperfection is the one thing all of us have in common. 

But that does not mean we should just cave in -- give up -- blunder along not caring what we do and who we hurt.  By no means -- looking at ourselves -- seeing our failings -- should first and foremost open us to accept mistakes made by others.  Then we should honestly consider how we can move in directions of improvement.  Listen more perhaps.  Consider others and their feeling.  Trying to be a bit more patient, would certainly be a good thing.  Be kind, first -- before kindness has been given -- or when unkindness has been laid at our feet.  These small things that may not come easily, but move us forward to a slightly less imperfect place.  No, I will never be perfect.  Likely I will never be quite as good as most others, but that doesn’t mean I should ever abandon the struggle as I move forward – hopefully -- on a road whose destination will remain -- in this life -- beyond my reach.  The road toward perfection!

(338 Words)                                        9-8-2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment