Friday, May 13, 2016

Plodding Along


Plodding Along

 

By John W. Vander Velden              

 

The weather reminds that few things are within my control.  Forever and always farming is bound to nature’s whims.  And so once again I face “the best laid plans of mice and men” laid wastes as I watch meteorological events that today are unwanted.  Fields need to be tilled friends and wet soil can’t.   

But the sun rose once again this morning and for that I am grateful. Plans are made; they seem made to be changed.  Which is the point of this post…to remind myself, and others, that life is always in a state of flux. None of us knows, exactly, what lies ahead.  It is good to be prepared but we…I…must never forget things do not often go as hoped.  Life is like that.   

Important to remember that opportunities come, and to make the best of them when they do.  To remember that, other than 1996, I always managed to put in a crop.  And even that year something’s got planted.  My words have gone back to farming again…I guess I’ve got a bit of dirt in my blood.  Hey, it’s my point of reference.   A friend told me, “It is what it is.”  That’s true but I don’t have to like it, do I?  But the truth is, I should!   

I should face what comes, not as an obstacle preventing success, but as a challenge that can be overcome. A challenge providing new insights and adventures.  Instead of feeling that I am merely plodding along I should grit my teeth and look for solutions to this new adventure I face.  It ain’t easy folks!  But it’s not impossible either. 

It is important to remember that there are things I can do and things I cannot.  To understand the difference, and to accept my place in the mix.  If a person does what he can, he should not feel responsible for what he cannot.  That is the real crux of it.  To realize my limitations do not mean failure.  To see that all the planning and good intentions in the world does not mean things will work out as I expect.  But if I really do all that I can…well, sleep should come with a clear conscious…I did say should.  But regrets are part of any situation, as are second guesses and a slew of what ifs.  It is part of being human and humble, being human and holding myself to impossible standards. 

Time is a teacher, and though many years have passed, it seems I am not the best student.  So as I watch drenched soil and wonder…how, I need to draw a breath and tell myself…it’ll get done! 

(448 Words)  5-14-2016

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment