Friday, September 30, 2016

Lessons Found in Wind and Waves


Lessons Found in the Wind and Waves

By John W. Vander Velden

 


On a cool March morning I forced myself from my warm bed, grabbed a camera and walked to the beach.  The nearly half mile of cool air cleared my head as I saw the color building in the east.  I was not alone when I arrived for others awaited the sun’s arrival.  Oh what a glorious sight to see the orange orb push out of the ocean.  Though it is not so, each of the rare times I find myself witnessing the Atlantic sunrise, it seems that the water tries to keep Sol within its watery clutch.  But the sun is not the ocean’s prisoner and bursts free in glorious reds and oranges.  I hold my breath as, through my viewfinder, I witness a new beginning of another day that perhaps in any other place I would take for granted.  But not here, not at the shore, not among the wind and waves.

I hope that I remember that moment, to hold those thoughts until at last I stand at the water’s edge at first light again.  For I often forget that each day is a gift, something new and wonderful.  And though that was but one brief part of that trip, those lessons may have been the most important I can learn this year. Lessons found in the wind and water.

(221 Words)         4-1-2016

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment