Friday, September 2, 2016

Small Dog and Big Hearts


Small Dog and Big Heart

By John W. Vander Velden

 

They say there is nothing like a good dog.  But the Malamute we had years ago was nothing like a good dog.  But I don’t let my difficult experiences with Bear poison my love of the fur covered tail-wagging critters.  Over the years I have been fortunate to have shared time with four legged friends of vast sizes and colors.  Some purer blood than British royalty but most have been what snobs would call mutts. 

Pedigree doesn’t mean everything to this guy…but heart does.  And the size of a K-9’s heart has nothing to do with the bulk that lies near my feet.  On a strange winter day while I was doing tax paperwork, my wife called and wondered if I was open to taking in a dog.  A dog in our household means extra work and responsibilities.  And my beloved knew I would be carrying the bulk of the added burden.  To her good fortune I had just totaled my personal prescription cost for the year…a sizable sum.  So I didn’t hesitate when she called.  I sensed the excitement…the need…she felt.  So Cloey came into our lives…a tiny thing…a Chihuahua mix…with long brown hair and legs with the finest bones I could imagine.

 
This puppy moved into our home and with its immense heart and sweet disposition and became part of our family.  Over the years, our 7 pound protector…though she has gained a few pounds recently…has earned her place…a special place…in our lives.  Our home and our lives are richer because of this tiny dog.  Cloey is smaller than our cat Oliver but has a heart as big as Montana.  Where would we be without her?  I can’t imagine my life without the longhaired, fish-boned, bundle of pure love. Like I said at the beginning, there’s nothing like a good dog, and Cloey is the best.  

 (316 Words)  9-2-2016

1 comment:

  1. Sweet thoughts, John. My two 9 pounders pack a two ton love punch. Flesh this out with a couple of anecdotes?

    ReplyDelete