Saturday, August 27, 2016

August 27th


August 27th

By John W. Vander Velden

There are those dates that, for whatever reason, are etched into our soul. The month of August has two of those days.  Today is one of them.

So in the crazy busyness of today I take a moment to remember.  Remembering is a good thing…usually.  It honors those who touched our lives but have moved on to better things.  But darkness’ shadow passes over me today once again.  Just a few minutes…just a few.  It is all I will allow myself.  I am surrounded by sunshine and will not dwell long within the shadow.  I push myself to happier memories…effort needed…effort worthwhile.  I allow the shadow to pass over me like the shade of a summer’s cloud.  I have seen it come…I know it will pass…and I remember…wounded once again but not weakened…much.

Mom would have been the last person on earth to admit that she lived an amazing life.  It was not like her to notice…she had things to do.  She didn’t notice things like that.  She noticed the dust that had dared to settle in her living room.  She noticed the weeds that invaded her garden.  She noticed the sniffles of her children…even when they were full grown.  She never noticed how old she had become…never…well almost never.

So I celebrate the life of Nel Vander Velden…and I remember.  And all of you that knew her she was just mom…and that was enough...
 
8-27-2016

No comments:

Post a Comment