Friday, January 20, 2017

Perma-Cloudy


Perma- Cloudy 

By John W. Vander Velden

 

Jackie said she would not mind winter as much if it were not “perma-cloudy”.  I see her point.  Even when its umpteen below, if the sun shines out of a blue sky, it’s doable. Ya dress for it.  But thirty degrees and thick overcast is…blaaaaa.  I won’t say we have the cloudiest skies in the U.S., though I was told we had the cloudiest in the mid-west, but the wonderful Lake Michigan does kick up some moisture and that moisture becomes clouds.  I’m not complaining about the nearness of the Great Lake…I love Lake Michigan…just stating fact that Lake Michigan is upwind and that thing called “Lake Effect”, well it affects the weather.  

Sunny days always makes people feel better…winter or otherwise.  It lifts our spirits.  And when the bright sun bounces of the white stuff, it’s beautiful.  A good thing to remember when I shoveling steps and walks.  There are special things about winter, just as there are special things about every season.  I guess it’s up to us to find them…enjoy them…whenever we can.  I try…honest…but sometimes it’s a little harder, especially if the sky is heavy and is the color of coal smoke.  But even those times have something…can’t think of it at the moment…but something.  I remind myself that each day is a gift, but it is up to me to use it.  And how much good I get out of the day is up to me as well. 

So today I have things to do, and am glad of it.  For whether it’s working on the combine or sitting at the keyboard, something’s happenin’.  Maybe not as much as I hope, but something.  Tomorrow will be another day, and I will move about and do something, because I can.  I hope that it will be something of value to others…I try.  But it will be something…and something is better than nuttin’.  But I do hope the sun will shine tomorrow.

 

(334 Words)                  1-3-2017

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment