Friday, February 24, 2017

Here We Are

Here We Are                        
By John W. Vander Velden

I must take a bit of time to acknowledge this Blogs birthday, if such things have birthdays.  Wednesday, March 1 will mark five years that I have managed to keep “Ramblings” alive.  Hard to imagine that 260 weeks I have posted at least once a week.  It is far beyond what I imagined in 2012.  I wondered then…I still do…if I will have another idea for the weeks ahead.  Ideas aren’t infinite are they?  But even now I have a few already written…rough perhaps but waiting.  To be honest I had no idea what I was getting into when I began.  My research…we should all do research, don’t you think…gave me a few guidelines.  But I did not follow all the rules, like posting three times a week.  That would be exhausting.  But I understood that I had to post on some sort of schedule.  Over time I have found a system that works…sorta’.  Those that have been following “Ramblings” have noticed….I hope.

Each week I wonder if the time I spend on my Blog should not be spent on other writing endeavors.  But I have learned a great deal from this weekly grind, and it doesn’t take as long to create a post as it once did.  But what did I hope to accomplish by this experiment?  An internet presence…  Whatever that might mean.  But it is part of the “author’s” requirements.  Again whatever that means.

But writing a Blog is only part of the program…promotion the other part.  Social media helps there.  But social media on its own won’t cut it.  The fact is I have to write something that people will want to read.  I have to offer something that is worth the time to access and view, and I have to offer it each week.  That has been the biggest part of this learning curve.  To determine what words might matter to my followers.  It is a responsibility I take seriously.

So I beg your pardon as I speak today about something as inconsequential as a blog.  But it is a milestone of sorts, and I wish to thank all of you for making it possible.  I thank those that come often, those that come rarely, those that have come only once.  I hope that you find something worth your while…something uplifting…that is the ultimate purpose of “Ramblings…Essays and Such”. 

So after five years…here we are…and time will tell where we go…
  
2-22-2017  (415 Words)



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, John. How I admire your commitment, your tenacity, your discipline. Those qualities are what separate a writer from a hobbyist. I am pleased to honor this milestone with you.

    ReplyDelete