Friday, March 3, 2017

Strange What You Remember


Strange What You Remember

By John W. Vander Velden



Strange what you remember, and strange when those memories pop into your head. 

Sometimes my childhood memories are little more than a blur.  Just some disconnected moments that for one reason or another stand out among the uncountable days of my youth.  I remember when I was very young, of collecting little green apples from beneath a tree in our yard.  I would load them in my brother’s toy truck, which I may or may not have ask to use, and play on the floor of our front porch.  Why that particular moment stands out I have no idea…but it does. 
There are many such glimpses into the gray years of days long ago.  Whether my childhood was happy or sad would depend upon the mood I carry when I go back to those days.  I am certain there were times of unbelievable joy and other days as well.  I understand, now, that life is a mix of highs and lows, and childhood is a complex time.
But I write this post because there was one day that remains clear in my mind, a day that comes to me often.  I was just a couple of weeks passed my tenth birthday.  It was February 20th 1962.  The date might stand out to you historians…more on that later.  It was early, a heavy dew covered the grass, a light mist filled the air.  We were moving…again.  Everything we had was loaded on dad’s red 49 Dodge truck, with its cattle sides raised and a platform built over the cab.  A big dark olive green patched tarp covered the whole of it.  We had stopped to say our good byes at the Coughenours, the owners of the farm, in Florida it was called a ranch, and my father’s employers, and headed out.  I remember that I was filled with a mix of excitement and regret that I would not see those dear people again.  I remember riding “shotgun” in our white 59 Chevy Biscayne two door, looking out the window that Tuesday morning, seeing what had become familiar slipping away.  I remember Duwayne, the neighbor kid wave, his hand barely moving at waist level, as if he didn’t want there to be a need…for goodbye.  And I remember the tears that came to my eye and the words my mom said.  “It’s hard saying good bye to good people.”  Yes it was.  It still is.
There is a great deal more to that memory…to that day.  That old truck, we followed, couldn’t break 40 miles per hour. It made for a long trip.  I remember a stop we made, a radio on the lunch counter, and how we leaned close for news of John Glenn as he orbited the earth. But most of all I remember a dark haired boy standing beyond a white board fence in the early morning mist, a face I have not seen since that day.

(492 Words)                            2-22-2017


No comments:

Post a Comment