Friday, February 16, 2018

Facing the Big "M":


Facing the Big “M”

By John W. Vander Velden

Those that have traveled the circuit around the sun more than most think about the “Big M”, mortality, more than the young.  My sixty-six “round trips” give me a clearer perspective.  I understand that my days are not infinite, at least my days on the green side of the sod.  And I’m OK with that.  I believe, firmly and cannot be convinced otherwise, that the breathing part is only a portion of my life.  That what awaits is far grander than the limited body in which I now reside can provide. 
Yet I’m comfortable in this fleshy form, and have no desire to leave it before I must.  More, I am surrounded by those that need me, and as I consider the “Big M” I worry not about myself, but others.  I am but a small part of anyone’s world, but some might believe differently.  It is for them I feel most, for those that have chosen to love me—for those I have chosen to love.
It is more than just a birthday that send my mind a thinkin’.  For I have stood at death’s doorway before and not feared what lay beyond.  But recently I have been introduced to another big letter…the letter “C”.  Last week I heard the results of tests—confirming the success of my surgery.  But the past weeks the “Big C” has brought the “Big M” into clearer focus.  It has also opened the hearts of so many that have sent their thoughts and prayers in my directions, and if you are among them, I cannot fully express the depth of my gratitude.
No, none walk this earth forever, and at sixty-six “more water has flowed over the dam than resides in the lake” (No Turning Back).  But that only drives me forward.  For I have much to do.  It is my hope that I face each day as the wondrous gift GOD has given me.  Among the tasks I gladly bear, is sharing my words with you and in doing so perhaps showing a bit of God’s immeasurable love. 
So my mantra will be forward, John, forward.  For God has work for me to do on this side of the “Big M” and maybe on the other side as well….    

No comments:

Post a Comment