Friday, January 22, 2021

Reflections

 

Reflections                       

By John W. Vander Velden


 

I have never taken the time to watch the Presidential Inauguration. For me, it was enough to catch the TV news clips, the talking points, a glance at the front page newspaper articles. The change of leadership has, during my lifetime, been rather dull, pomp and circumstance aside. However this year was different. It was unique for me and I suspect an unusual event for most of you as well.

For me the divergence from normal began months ago. That difference was shown most clearly by the actions of two men...the ones at the very center of the growing turmoil. I found that I was not surprised, in the least, by the response each of these two powerful men showed our nation. Yet it was in the contrast that, to me in any case, which revealed the depth of each of them. One man showed calm confidence. The other barely controlled rage. One reached out to his base with a continuous stream of what he wanted them to believe. The other spoke to a nation most often in a reassuring tone. Their words and actions show the very foundations of their essence...their souls.

I, like so many others, felt the pressure rise. Knew that this conflict of two different views placed a strain on the country...a strain on us all. For each of us carry our own position...our own hope for the future and a belief in the person that would carry our nation toward those noble goals. Week by week, even day by day, the pressure was fed, the heat of rhetoric turned higher and higher, and many of us added fear of the outcome of what seemed a growing confrontation to our lists of personal concerns. Hearing words that include “make it wild” spoken to those already driven by believing their rights were ignored, revealed to me that the angry likely would take to the streets.

I watched as their rage was fed daily. I may not have known the exactly where they would focus their anger, but truly expected the uncontrolled rage I witnessed on Wednesday, January 6th. No, the Capitol riots were no surprise to me. Even as I sat for those hours, continually praying that, with God’s help, our democracy would survive, I was grateful that the members of congress had escaped the violent mob. I listened to the words spoken by the calm voice of one man as he spoke the nation. His words came before the response finally arrived from the angry man. I hope you noticed as well.

Last Wednesday, I took time to watch one man leave the office...the most powerful position any person could hold...and I watched another man, a calm man, accept the duties, the responsibility. I listened to words spoken...promises made. And once again I was touched by the contrast shown by a truly humble man when compared to his predecessor.

This essay is not about my personal stand on either man’s goals. I did not agree with many points in both their apparent agendas. This essay is about truth and the obvious revelation of facts that cannot be hidden indefinitely. These words are to point out that calmness comes from a confidence of what that truth will at last prove to be. I believe that rage comes from trying to force the truth in directions of one’s preference. January 20, 2021, showed me that truth...in the end...prevailed.

Time will tell if my optimism is well founded. Time will tell if healing is even possible.

How things change remains to be seen. Do we, as a country, recover from the wounds so deeply inflected? I will not predict. But there is a change...a calm change...it is a change this man can appreciate.

God save our country!

 

(628 Words)  1/22/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment