Friday, January 8, 2021

Words

 

Words         

By John W. Vander Velden


 

Surely the events of this past week are burned deeply within our minds. We have, each of us, been exposed to a situation which is driving a new conversation into an old problem. Flashing across our television screens, on our computers, or our phones, were scenes we have never witnessed before. It is easy to point fingers, make accusations, hang blame upon the obvious perpetrators, those whose faces we have seen treading on polished floors and invading chambers of our government, the trashing of the “Peoples House”.

Things of this nature occur in other places...faraway places...places that do not represent the freedoms we take for granted.  But friends it did happen here, and sadly, cold happen again.

What, have we, as a society, learned from this terrible experience?

I cannot say what lasting lessons, if any, have been acquired.

Personally I have been bracing for this confrontation since November. I was sickened, saddened, and angered by the images I saw playing out Wednesday afternoon, but as I implied, was not surprised.

As a writer I have to believe in the power of words. I have to believe that EACH OF US must carry the responsibility for the words we speak. Surely our actions speak with a louder voice than our lips, yet our lips are the doorways to our hearts and our very souls. Words spoken and repeated, and repeated again and again carry a power. And the amount of that power is made manifest by the voice...by the person...that utters those syllables we call language.

I have watched the news play out more closely these last two months than ever before. I witnessed the power of words. I have become angered when someone at the pinnacle of our nation’s government, a person whose words we should trust...lied to us all. Others fueled the spread of those lies. Others disregarded the truth, while spewing words reinfocing concepts of a global conspiracy, without even the smallest shred of truth.

In life, when things do not move in the direction we hoped, it is easy to believe the words spoken that seem explain the cause of our disappointment. It is easy to be towed along by words. To look away when the facts are clearly laid at our feet. To join in the voices of denial.

But friends, truth is truth, and no person’s words, not even the President of the United States, can change what is TRUTH!

Attorney General, William Barr told us there was NO MASSIVE VOTER FRAUD.

Christopher Krebs, head of the election division of our nation’s cyber security, assured us that the VOTE WAS SECURE.

More than sixty cases brought to courts all across our great nation, even cases that were presented to the Supreme Court, the highest court of our country, fell face down for lack of REAL evidence.

Yet millions believe the imagined events that never occurred, driven into a frenzy by WORDS, and worse, by LIES spoken by the very people we should trust.

I view of history from a very different place than most of you. My parents grew up in an occupied country. They witnessed firsthand the oppression instituted by the power and control of words. I have made the effort to look back to the very ground swelling...the beginning...of the movement that lead millions of good people much further from good deeds than any before might have anticipated. Millions died because of the charismatic WORDS of one man, and the world came to brink of total destruction.

I understand that WW2 was not caused by one man. Hitler was surrounded by those that fed his ego, reinforced his actions, approved his words. The actions Wednesday were not the result of one speech, for the blame must fall on others as well. For President Trump was surrounded by those that knew the truth and did nothing to discount the lies that flowed nonstop for two months. And those who stood idly by while our country was catching fire were not only to be found within the executive branch of our government. Legislators and Senators that KNEW THE TRUTH and did not speak out publicly in order to unravel the lies. They too must carry responsibility as well. For each elected officials that stood proudly while saying there actions were driven IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST, all the while turning their back upon oaths they gave to the constitution of our great land. They are an insult, to all of us that have put our trust in them to lead.

Truth will stand...their words will not!  

I understand the process...I watched it unfold before my eyes.

Yet I remained silent, I am one person, my voice means nothing.

BUT I HAVE WORDS!!!

And the time is long past that I assemble them!

God save our country for it will take His ultimate power to restore our trust in one another. To restore our faith in the very institutions that make our democracy work. It will take God to open the eyes of all of us as we move forward...for moving forward should be our common desire...to a better place...a better country...to a unified land.

I know this essay will raise the ire of some.  I am confident that family members, friends, associates, and many others will take strong offence to the view I have expressed. If that be the case then so be it.

I do not apologize.

But understand that these words are MY VIEWS ALONE and do not reflect upon the opinion of any other person. Aim your wrath at me. Not my family, not my friends, not my church. If you have an honest and open opinion I will hear your words, but I will not quake beneath insults.

I will stand up for what I know is the truth and willing to take the brunt of others reactions. Their criticism. For I believe the truth must be spoken.

Countries crumble because good people remain silent!

As I said before...I am but one voice...all I have is words...but the time has come for me to use my words.       (1012 Words) 1-8-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment