Saturday, December 9, 2023

Preparing for the Big Day

 

Preparing for the Big Day

By John W. Vander Velden


 

This month uncounted millions will be hustling and bustling to get ready for a special day. There’s so much to do, events to plan, gifts to purchase and wrap, cards to send, and of course decorations to hang and spread about our homes and places of work. Yet in all the craziness of our activities very few of us include preparing ourselves, for the real reason we do all these and other things.

For you see December 25th would be no more than any other day, if it were not for the one important thing that I prepare for, that is the birth of Jesus Christ. For I, like many others of faith, understand the significance of that event, an event that changed the world and continues to do so. For the birth of that one child, caused a shear point in history.

No, the world didn’t become a perfect place filled with perfect people, but with the birth of Jesus, God proved just how much he loved us. For Christ was born, just as we were. He was born to what might seem ordinary people, yet Mary and Joseph were anything but ordinary. Jesus was born in humble circumstances. Those that know the facts can see the profoundness of the birth of God’s Son.

I am a man of faith, raised in a family of faith, and none of these things are new to me. Throughout my life Christ’s birth was always at the center of Christmas. For when I hear someone say, They find Christmas a special time, I wonder, what it is that makes Christmas special to them. But for me and my family none of the glitter and glam, nothing hung on our tree or found beneath it, has as much importance at the birth of my Savior.

I will not pretend that I place enough effort in my preparations for the big day. For one thing, I don’t read my Bible as much as I should, yet my mind considers Christ’s birth each day, especially in December. And when I honestly look at myself and consider the flawed man I am, then I understand the extreme depth God went to in order to offer me an out, if you will. For I know that I fall short of what God wants me to be each day no matter how hard I try, and I do try. Yet I continue to be lacking in my thoughts and actions. But because of grace, undeserved but given to me anyway, I am, through Christ, acceptable.

So, I prepare myself for the celebration of one of the most important events in history, for Easter could not exist, if Jesus had not been born in Bethlehem. And that is indeed the real reason to celebrate December 25th. It gives all the other stuff we do this time of year significance.  It is my hope that as you prepare for the big day, you will do so with Christ’s birth on your mind as well.

Hallelujah, Christ is born, born for you and me.

(513 Words) 12-9-2023


No comments:

Post a Comment