Friday, August 30, 2013

Beneath the Leaves


Beneath the Leaves

 

By John W. Vander Velden              

 

The intense heat of the summer’s afternoon left behind, as I walk beneath the leaves.  Now surrounded by thick straight barked pillars, tall they stand, supporting the ceiling far above.  A cathedral slowly and carefully built by GOD.  A place quiet yet filled with life, as in awe I move.  I am but a stranger to this place but connected.  While I find myself among the great old stand, hardwoods of popular, maple and oak, grand trees whose time has spanned so much history.  I imagine others…those that have over generations found themselves in this wood.  Of children playing…men hunting…and those living their lives very near to this place.  To some reverence found on this rolling land…to others only trees…rocks…and dirt.  Finding myself alone, surrounded by the “real world” too seldom.  Free for a time, I cast aside hectic thoughts…the craziness of life can continue without me for a while.  My eyes move upward.  Far above, the canopy, a roof allowing only small shafts of sunlight…bright slivers angling toward forest floor.  My breathing slows as moving with care…listening…watching…hearing…I absorb this world alien to my everyday.  Grateful for just a bit of time I can spend beneath the leaves.

 

(211 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment