Friday, August 9, 2013

Brave New Wings


                         

By John W. Vander Velden

 

I remember watching young swallows as they grew.  During the summers of my youth as I cleaned the milk barn, I would look up to the two or three nests that had been built upon the planking.  How quickly the young birds grew and soon filled the small space, their home.  Then suddenly they would leave the only place they had known, on untried but brave new wings. 

Events in our household reminded me of those summers long ago…it reminded me of the young swallow’s first flights.  For our son faces a new and grand adventure…one for which we as parents hope he is prepared.  He stands on the very brink with feigned confidence, not daring to show anything less. It seems ignorance and optimism, powerful allies for those that leave all they have known behind.   For the unknown that lies ahead has long been anticipated.  And just as the swallow that has never flown does not doubt in its ability, our son is prepared to leap.  For the nest has become too small and the great wide world awaits.  What lies ahead none knows…that remains the challenge that each face, young and old.  We each should remember when we confronted challenges and the possibilities seemed endless.  We each should remember the time when we felt fearless and knew failure impossible.  These are the things I need to consider as I watch Nick while he prepares to venture into a new world, on brave new wings.

(249 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment